ATLANTA, Dec. 9, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — With winter weather continuing into Saturday, Georgia Power is responding to service interruptions as quickly and safely as possible. Restoration crews working to restore power for customers today are facing challenging weather and travel conditions, including impassable bridges and roads due to significant snow accumulation and icing.
- Since noon Friday, restoration crews have been in field and have safely restored power to more than 130,000 customers.
- As of 9 a.m. Saturday, approximately 140,000 customers are without power statewide according to Georgia Power’s Online Outage Map.
Georgia Power reminds customers to keep safety first during severe winter weather and offers multiple tools and resources to stay connected and informed.
After the Storm Safety Tips
- Watch for downed wires. Downed power lines may be hidden by snow, debris or fallen trees.
- Never touch any downed wire or attempt to remove tree branches from power lines – it can kill.
- Don’t step in standing water or saturated ground where downed lines may be present. They could be electrified.
- Avoid chain link fences. They may be electrified by a downed line out of sight and conduct electricity over great distances.
Tools You Can Use
- Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
- Outage & Storm Center – Available at www.georgiapower.com/storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
- Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power’s interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.
- Georgia Power Mobile App – Download the Georgia Power mobile app for Apple and Android devices to access storm and outage information on the go.
- @GeorgiaPower on Twitter – Follow @GeorgiaPower on Twitter for storm tips, outage updates, customer service and more.
- Winter Weather Prep Videos – Check out a series of informational videos on winter weather preparation at GeorgiaPower.com/WinterPrep.
When severe weather strikes, Georgia Power has access to additional resources available as part of the Southern Company system, which includes multiple electric and gas companies serving more than 9 million customers nationwide. Additionally, Georgia Power is part of a national mutual assistance network consisting of dozens of utilities from around the country, and the company is able to tap into reinforcements when needed to restore power to Georgia customers following a storm.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest electric subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America’s premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company’s promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia’s 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower), Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower) and Instagram (Instagram.com/ga_power).
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/restoration-efforts-continue-saturday-as-crews-face-challenging-weather-and-travel-conditions-300569339.html
SOURCE Georgia Power
To post and circulate your own press release on FIR and the eTN Network please click here
Comments are closed here.