Business News first on FIR:
LOS ANGELES–()–Multiple events will be taking place the week of Feb. 24 through March 1 throughout Southern California leading up to the 2020 HSBC LA SEVENS, part of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, it was announced today by Dan Lyle, Director of AEG Rugby. HSBC LA SEVENS will be held in Los Angeles for the first time at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, CA, Feb. 29-March 1, 2020.
The HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series is an annual series of international rugby sevens tournaments taking place over 10 global cities, including Paris, London, Dubai and Sydney, and featuring national teams from the top 16 countries. The U.S. leg of the international series, most recently held in Las Vegas, now moves to Los Angeles for the next four years and will be the largest annual rugby event in the United States. Tickets may be purchased by visiting www.lasevensrugby.com or by calling 1-888-9AXS-TIX.
Participating Teams in this year’s HSBC LA SEVENS will include: USA, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France, Spain, Canada, Argentina, Kenya, South Korea, Australia, Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand and South Africa. This event will provide a preview to Southern California of the 2028 Olympic Games in LA. The Rugby Sevens series will be one of the featured sports in the Summer Olympic Games.
The HSBC LA SEVENS will host multiple events throughout Southern California including:
- Adopt-A-Country Program – Sixteen of Southern California’s local schools will “adopt a country” as their own, to learn about the culture and customs of one of the 16 countries competing at the LA Sevens. The multi-week program will culminate with the international teams each visiting their respective school for an assembly to interact with the students on either Wednesday, Feb. 27 or Thursday, Feb. 28. Competing countries and their school affiliation include:
- Alta Vista Elementary (Redondo Beach) – Australia
- Anza Elementary (Torrance) – New Zealand
- Beethoven Elementary (Carson) – England
- Broadacres Elementary (Carson) – Scotland
- Calle Mayor Middle (Torrance) – Ireland
- Carnegie Middle (Carson) – USA
- Carson High (Carson) – Samoa
- Catskills Elementary (Carson) – Spain
- Emerson Middle (Pomona) – South Africa
- ICEF Charter (LA) – Kenya
- Magruder Middle (Torrance) – Argentina
- Mira Costa High (Manhattan Beach) – Wales
- Redondo Union High (Redondo Beach) – Fiji
- Riviera Elementary (Torrance) – France
- Soleado Elementary (Palos Verdes) – Korea
- Towne Avenue Elementary (Carson) – Canada
- Rugby Hub – The South Bay (Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Torrance) will serve as the “Rugby Hub” the week of the HSBC LA SEVENS. Over 27 bars, pubs and restaurants in the South Bay have partnered with AEG to provide discounts and promotions. Fans can obtain a free “Rugby Hub Passport” and visit the participating venues during event week (Feb. 28-March 1) and have their passport “stamped” to be eligible for prize drawings.
- LA Invitational – Taking place at Great Park in Irvine and Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, this event will provide the opportunity for Rugby players of all ages and all skill levels to play and compete in their own tournament. The LA Invitational takes place Friday, Feb. 28 and Saturday, Feb. 29.
- Official Team Captain’s Photo – To honor the move to Southern California, the official Team Captain’s Photo will take place at the iconic Manhattan Beach Pier on Thursday, Feb. 27. With the Pacific Ocean and California sunset in the background, all 16 teams’ captains from around the world will be together for this ongoing annual tradition.
- International Fan Festival – Fans attending the LA SEVENS at Dignity Health Sports Park will also enjoy music, food, culture and entertainment from around the world, will be featured in the HSBC LA SEVENS International Fan Festival. This is a unique and special experience for ticketed fans attending the HSBC LA SEVENS.
- Business Conferences & Summits – AEG, along with other HSBC LA SEVENS partners and sponsors, will be holding individual business conferences and summits leading up to the weekend event at various locations throughout Los Angeles, including JW Marriott at LA Live.
Each auxiliary event surrounding HSBC LA SEVENS welcome press coverage and individual media alerts will be issued with specific details, or visit www.LAsevensrugby.com.
Dignity Health Sports Park, home of the NFL’s LA Chargers and MLS LA Galaxy, and future host venue for the 2028 Summer Olympic Games, will host the two-day event with over forty games providing more than eight hours of play each day, as well as a fan festival showcasing international food, music, culture and entertainment for fans throughout each day. Another unique component of the two-day event is the grassroots community tournament, the Los Angeles Invitational, which will take place on the outer fields around the stadium, with 300 community teams playing in co-ed divisions of youth, high-school, college and adult clubs. The HSBC LA SEVENS is expected to draw a weekend attendance of over 45,000 international rugby fans.
The HSBC LA SEVENS will bring passionate fans from across the USA and around the world, to spectate and celebrate at the round-robin tournament. Los Angeles will now play host to the fast and intense competition with high scoring games, which coupled with the electricity of the spirited international fans, provides a unique and memorable event for all spectators.
The event is also expecting celebrities from the world of television, film and music, along with top athletes from every sport who are also rugby fans, and fans of their national teams to be in attendance to support their teams and countries.
“Teams from around the world come to Los Angeles to compete because of the diversity, talent, and passion that has made L.A. one of the great sports towns,” said LA Mayor Eric Garcetti. “HSBC LA SEVENS will make our athletic tradition even richer and give fans everywhere another reason to visit our city.”
“We are fired up to bring HSBC LA SEVENS to Los Angeles,” said Dan Lyle. “Rather than just have the two days of exciting Rugby competition, we wanted to involve and engage all of Southern California and ‘take over’ LA. With all the multiple events and opportunities for Rugby fans and SoCal residents to take part in, we believe there will be something for everyone to enjoy and have a great time which is what HSBC LA SEVENS is all about.”
As Nielsen research has reported, the USA has the highest proportion of rugby fans worldwide with more than 33 million people; American fans will have the chance to see Team USA up close in Los Angeles. As noted, currently ranked as the #2 team in the world, Team USA has already qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics. The HSBC LA SEVENS event will also offer a preview of a world championship event in advance of the 2028 LA Olympic Games, in the same venue where the Olympic Rugby competition will take place.
Tickets for HSBC LA SEVENS are on sale now to the public at www.LAsevensrugby.com or by calling 1-888-9AXS-TIX.
About HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series
One of the most popular sports in the world is showcased in this annual series of 10 international rugby sevens tournaments featuring national teams from 16 countries. The 2020 schedule will include competitions in: Dubai, UAE; Hamilton, New Zealand; Hong Kong, SAR; London, England; Cape Town, South Africa; Sydney, Australia; Vancouver, Canada; Singapore; Paris, France; and Los Angeles, CA, USA. For more information, visit: www.world.rugby/sevens-series
About AEG Rugby
AEG Rugby is spearheading the LA SEVENS event for AEG. A whole owned subsidiary of AEG Worldwide, AEG Rugby’s mission is to work with Unions, Leagues, Teams, Brands, Broadcasters and other commercial & development partners to meaningfully grow the relevance and commercial viability of the sport of rugby. AEGR believes that the core values of the game; respect, integrity and teamwork will guide efforts for both immediate and long term strategic planning & execution to deliver sustainable success for rugby in the USA and our partners around the world.
About Dignity Health Sports Park
Dignity Health Sports Park, home of the LA Galaxy and the Los Angeles Chargers, is southern California’s home of world-class competition and training facilities for amateur, Olympic, collegiate and professional athletes. Managed by ASM Global, the $150 million, privately financed facility was developed by AEG on a 125-acre site on the campus of California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) in Carson, California. Dignity Health Sports Park’s commitment to athletics and training also extends to the surrounding communities. Tennis courts, soccer training fields and a three-mile jogging trail with 12 fitness stations around the perimeter of the development is available to local residents as well as other facilities and amenities. Through foundations established by AEG-operated entities such as the Galaxy, the Los Angeles Kings (NHL) and STAPLES Center, more than $5 million has been pledged to community organizations in the last decade, including new donations targeting the local Carson community established by the ASCSC Community Foundation. For additional information please visit www.dignityhealthsportspark.com.
About USA Rugby
Established in 1975, USA Rugby is the governing body for the sport of rugby in America and a Full Sport Member of the United States Olympic Committee. Currently headquartered in Lafayette, Colorado, USA Rugby is charged with developing the game on all levels and has more than 120,000 active members across the youth, High School, College and Senior club level. USA Rugby oversees four national teams, multiple collegiate and High School All-American sides, and an emerging Olympic development pathway for elite athletes. It also hosts more than 30 national playoff and championship events each year as a service to its members. In 2018, USA Rugby welcomed the world for Rugby World Cup Sevens in San Francisco, the first-ever Rugby World Cup hosted on American soil. With over 100,000 in attendance, the event broke various American records and has acted as a launching point for the game’s future growth. Visit www.usa.rugby for more information.
Post your press-release (free) click here.