To celebrate 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development, World Travel Market London is focusing World Responsible Tourism Day – including the WTM Responsible Tourism Awards – on the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The WTM Responsible Tourism Awards will be presented at World Travel Market London on World Responsible Tourism Day, November 7th 2017.
The awards categories are centered on the UN’s Sustainable Tourism Goals, with a focus on businesses, destinations and organization which can clearly demonstrate their contribution to sustainable development
At WTM London 2016 a number of businesses described in some detail what development impacts they were making by following the SGDs.
The Awards will look for examples of businesses and organizations that have taken responsibility and can demonstrate what they have achieved.
There are five categories this year – the first four are open only to those who have won gold or silver in the last three years in the global, African, Indian or Irish Responsible Tourism Awards. The fifth category is for organizations new to the awards.
The Awards categories are:
1. SDG8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
2. SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns, tourism that creates jobs, promotes local culture and products.
3. SDG 3: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development through the sustainable management of tourism on and in the oceans.
4. Remaining SDGs: Businesses and tourism organizations that can demonstrate their contribution to one of the other 14 SDGs
5. Newcomers: Businesses and tourism organizations which can demonstrate a contribution to one of the SDGs but which have not won Responsible Tourism Awards in the last three years.
WTM London, Responsible Tourism Advisor, Emeritus Professor Harold Goodwin, said:
“We are looking for businesses and tourism organizations that can demonstrate their positive sustainable development impact. We recognize that smaller companies will have smaller impacts. However, smaller businesses and organizations are no less worthy of an award and should not be deterred from applying.”
WTM London is working with the Responsible Tourism Partnership to deliver the awards. Emeritus Professor Goodwin will chair the panel of Judges.
The WTM Responsible Tourism Awards are open for applications on May 2nd and close August 31st.
Comments are closed here.